Sunday, May 30, 2010

Rob Martino: One Cloud (2010)

Tracklist :
1. One Cloud (3:35)
2. The Long Circle (11:06)
3. Conscious Dream (5:15)
4. Cloud Dispersed (2:17)
5. Differential (5:27)
6. Turbulence (1:26)
7. Mighty Distant Star (6:11)
8. The Third Enigma (13:14)
Rob Martino says: I am pleased to announce my first solo Chapman Stick album One Cloud
The album is 48 minutes of original music that was composed, performed live and further developed over a period of about five years. I've distilled many of my various progressive rock, folk and classical music influences, as well as some techniques I picked up on other instruments, and attempted to incorporate it into my own style on the Stick. My intent is to create soulful and intricate music that takes the listener on a journey though different moods, themes and sonic images.
Short History:
I put a rough video of my first Stick tune One Cloud on YouTube in 2006, and beyond any expectations many people seemed to respond to that and other videos and recordings I shared. The encouragement I have received has certainly feuled the creation of this album to a large degree, and I am grateful for all the support! Album sales certainly allow me to achieve more in my musical endeavors (more frequent writing, recording and performing)- I don't really have any expectations of playing music as a career, but having some extra time and resouces do help a lot. Special thanks to Ronald Jenkees for directing a lot of traffic my way of late!
Technical Info:
I recorded the album at home on an Apple Macintosh computer (using an Apogee Duet recording interface) and did all the mixing and effects processing in the digital domain (96 Khz/24 bit). Other than the high quality Apogee interface and Avenson DIs, no outboard gear was used- just Logic Pro and plug-ins by Wave Arts and Native Instruments.
The final mastering stage took a complimentary approach- Michael Romanowski used his audiophile analog/tube/tape methods (and great ears) to establish a deep, warm and cohesive sound. Not much compression or limiting was used: I resisted the trend to make the album "bright and loud" like many other modern recordings (which often end up being fatiguing to the ears). Instead it has a smoother "vintage" audio quality that has more space to breathe. For best results, turn it up some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment